The FASTEST Criminal Justice Degree Online need those who want to advance in their careers. The field of criminal justice has a lot to offer those who seek to continue working with law enforcement, the private sector, or some other capacity that requires being a part of the criminal justice system.
As crime continues to plague our nation and the world, training to become a police officer or security officer is essential for everyone who is interested in learning more about what’s happening behind locking doors.
But even with so much knowledge now available, getting a career in law enforcement can be challenging. It’s not as easy as just heading down the street and applying for a job as a beat cop or security guard for bars and nightclubs.
You need to do your research first and ensure that you are choosing the right school that will give you the skills you need to get started in your chosen career path.
- The FASTEST Criminal Justice Degree Online – How to Get the Most Out of Your Education
- Get an Online Business Degree in Florida!
- How to Get an Online Psychology Bachelor’s degree without a lot of money!
- The Best Online Masters Degree Programs in Healthcare Administration
- How to Start an Online Accredited Psychology Degree – The Complete Guide
What is an accredited criminal justice degree?
Crime is on the rise in many parts of the world. In the United States, violent crime is at an all-time high. The consequences of this can be felt in many ways.
Perhaps the most obvious of these is the cost of law enforcement. More officers are being hired and more officers are being retired with lower rates of job security and pay.
As such, there is a serious need for qualified law enforcement personnel who can fill these roles. To address this need, many police departments and other law enforcement agencies now offer accredited bachelor’s degree programs.
These programs are largely designed for law enforcement officers who want to upgrade their skills and increase their earning potential. The following are the most common types of accredited bachelor’s degree programs:
Bachelor’s degree programs These programs generally range from one to three years in length and are generally completed as part of a police officer or military obligations program.
The degree programs usually include
- courses in mathematics,
- computer science,
- criminology, and
- a variety of other core fields.
Counselor/professor programs These programs provide intensive, specialized training in fields such as mental health counseling, alcohol and drug counseling, and juvenile delinquency.
The degree programs usually include courses in one to three fields of study. Online bachelor’s degree programs are becoming increasingly available.
These degrees are often offered through online universities and can generally be completed in one year or less. The degree programs may be capped at 24 credit hours and may be primarily focused on coursework or may offer greater emphasis on project-based learning.
The following article explains everything you need to know about getting an accredited criminal justice degree online so that you can achieve success in whatever discipline interests you most.
The courses you need to take
Criminal Justice is a broad and complex discipline that encompasses a wide range of skills. You will study a variety of topics in your
- degree in criminal justice.
- including coursework in mathematics,
- Including basic algebra,
- and geometry
- trigonometry, advanced mathematics,
- including calculus,
- statistics, and
- vectors of crime, and
- The philosophy of crime and law Legal issues
specific to the field of criminal justice, such as evidence, the law, and regulations
How to get the fastest criminal justice degree online
Depending on where you are in life, you may already be well-versed in some of these subjects. If not, you can still likely acquire the necessary skills to become a law enforcement officer through coursework or by watching YouTube videos on subjects that you are unfamiliar with.
During your education, you will take a variety of courses. It is important to choose a college that offers a variety of courses so that you are well-rounded and have the opportunity to study a variety of topics.
In addition to the core courses, many accredited criminal justice degree programs also include elective courses. These courses are extensions of the degree program and typically broaden the field of study to include additional scientific, technological, or medical fields.
What are the requirements for getting an accredited criminal justice degree online?
Most accredited criminal justice degree programs require students to take certain core courses, as well as elective courses, to complete their degree.
You will also need to meet certain minimum GPA requirements and demonstrate certain test scores to be eligible to sit for the Law Enforcement Officer Standards of Training (LEOstar) exam.
Advantages of an accredited criminal justice degree online
Better career opportunities – Many accredited programs are equipped to provide real-world experience that can help you get a leg up in your chosen field.
Ideally, you will pursue a career that takes you outside of the classroom so that you can experience real-world problems and issues.
- Faster degree – Because you will already be well-versed in some fields, it will be easier for you to complete your degree in a shorter timeframe.
- More flexibility – You will be able to choose courses that interest you better and tailor your degree to meet your needs for training.
- More opportunities for peer interaction – Peer interaction is a huge part of any degree program, especially one that is focused on education for a career in law enforcement.
You will make new friends, share knowledge, and gain insight from others who are working in a similar field as you.
Disadvantages of an accredited criminal justice degree online
- More expensive – All things considered, it will cost you more to attend an accredited college or university online compared to a brick-and-mortar school.
- Limited course options – Most online degree programs will only offer a small number of specific courses that are specific to the degree program.
- No on-site instruction – On-site instruction, where you actually meet the faculty members who are teaching the classes, is one of the best ways to get hands-on experience in a real-world setting.
The Best Accelerated Online Criminal Justice Degree Programs
- UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA
- BALL STATE UNIVERSITY
- TROY UNIVERSITY
- DESALES UNIVERSITY
- NORWICH UNIVERSITY
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY – ALEXANDRIA
- UNIVERSITY OF WEST GEORGIA
How to apply for a job as a police officer or security guard with an accredited criminal justice degree
The first step in applying for a job as a law enforcement officer or private sector security guard with an accredited criminal justice degree is to complete an accredited program.
You will need to create an account with the school and create a profile that includes your academic achievements, interests, and any other relevant information.
You will also need to create a character-assessment questionnaire to help the school determine if you have the right personality type to be a part of their team.
After you have created an account and secured a spot on their team, you can apply to work as a police officer or security guard.
Most hiring authorities will require you to complete a criminal records check, which will indicate whether or not you are eligible to apply for the job.